At Spire, our goal is to do more with energy. To continue innovating, doing what's right and pushing the boundaries of what's possible. Our sustainability efforts bring that goal to life.
Achieved 0.108% methane intensity for the distribution segment—which is half the segment target
19.5% leak reduction per 1,000 system miles, compared to FY21
For CY22, we reported a 6.3% CO2e reduction, compared to our 2021 baseline
Supported environmental efforts in the communities we serve and the places we call home
We're on target to reduce gas utility methane emissions by 60% by 2025 and 73% by 2035. Here's a look at how we're working toward that goal.
- Reduced CO2e by 6.3% compared to 2021 baseline
- Replaced 255 additional miles of aging infrastructure
- Achieved a 19.5% leak reduction per 1,000 system miles of distribution pipelines compared to FY21
- Initiated a climate action plan
- Began implementing our renewable natural gas (RNG) strategy
- Achieved 0.108% methane intensity for the distribution segment, which is half the segment target
- Increased percentage of racially diverse employees by 3.4%, with a 2.2% increase in female employees
- Developed enhanced succession planning framework for officers and other leaders
- Connected customers with more than $27 million in federal, state and Spire energy assistance funding
- Increased employee volunteer hours by 45% over FY21 levels
- Launched first-ever mentoring program
- Surveyed more than 10,000 customers about their experience doing business with Spire
- Donated more than $5.9M to support our communities
- Named one of Newsweek's "Most Responsible Companies" for the fourth year in a row
- Performed a robust evaluation of director skills and experience that will be needed in future Board succession planning efforts
- Continued to refine the Board's oversight responsibilities for sustainability efforts
- Maintained a well-qualified, independent Board of Directors that is 50% female and 20% racially diverse
- Monitored the company's policies and procedures to ensure appropriate governance and compliance for current standards
Explore the 2021 report
Explore the 2020 report
Explore the 2019 report
Explore the 2018 report
We recently published several governance policies based on our sustainability initiatives.
The Spire Board acknowledges the importance of diversity in its broadest sense in the boardroom as a driver of Board effectiveness.
Spire is committed to respecting human rights in our own operations and complying with the laws of the states in which we do business.
We believe we all have a shared responsibility to care for our planet. As an energy company, we honor that responsibility, operating with environmental safety and sustainability in mind.